Mainstream fashion has seen the rise of the trucker hat once again, with celebrities and influencers casually adding it to their looks, leading to an increase in public demand for the hat. A type of baseball cap, a trucker hat is also known as mesh or netback cap due to the plastic mesh at the back.
In the 1970s, the trucker hat was called ‘feed cap’ or ‘gimme (give me) cap’ because animal feed manufacturers in the US used them as promotional giveaways to farmers, truck drivers, and other workers. The caps advertised these suppliers while providing relief and protection for blue-collar workers working in the heat of the sun.
Trucker Hats Popularized In Later Years
In the following years, the trucker hat was used by more companies to promote their brand and by various groups to bear their logos. Hat companies also started selling these hats as protective headwear.
In the fashion world, wearing a trucker hat was popularized as a casual look and later promoted by celebrities, especially in the 1990s. Aside from truckers and farmers, the trucker hat was also embraced by skaters and other youth subcultures well into the 2000s. By the late 2010s and early 2020s, trucker hats have remained popular and considered part of mainstream fashion.
Different Trucker Hat Styles To Choose From
The defining feature of a trucker hat is its foam front section along with the mesh at the back for breathability. Compared to baseball caps, trucker hats have a slightly curved bill with six triangular gores and a distinguishing button at the top. It’s also adjustable at the back, making it a one-size-fits-all headwear.
There are numerous styles to choose from, and here are some of them:
- Two Tone Trucker Hats: These trucker hats are composed of two colors. Usually, the front foam section’s color differs from that of the bill and mesh. It’s easier to pair two tone hats with any outfit, making it a good choice if you’re planning to elevate your look.
- Snapback Trucker Hat: The snapback trucker cap became popular in the 2010s, with the rise of modern hip-hop culture that incorporated the trucker cap as a fashion statement. It has a foam front and a mesh back but with a shorter, flat bill with a stitched design. By the mid-2010s, many celebrities, influencers, and those following the y2k trend on the internet sported this snapback trucker cap look.
- Curved Brim Snapback Hat: This is similar to the snapback trucker cap, with a curved longer bill at the front. The distinctive feature of these snapbacks is the plastic snapping straps located at the back that allow the user to easily adjust the cap according to head size. This type is donned casually in street-style fashion and can be seen worn by celebrities and influencers.
- Dad Trucker Hat: Trucker hats usually stand upright due to the foam in the front panel of the cap. One variation, the dad trucker hat, is similar in many aspects to the usual trucker hat but without the foam in the front supporting its structure. These hats have a more relaxed fit, usually worn casually by middle-aged men, thus earning the name dad hat.
- Paparazzi Cap: The innovative paparazzi trucker cap features a snap lock at the side of the hat where a detachable face mask can be placed both for protection and anonymity. This trucker hat got its name because it obscures the face, allowing celebrities to avoid the paparazzi.
- Leather Trucker Hat: If you’re going for a less casual, more stylish look for your trucker hat, you can opt for one made of genuine cowhide leather. It’s similar to the usual trucker hat but with leather as the material for the front section of the cap. This makes the casual trucker hat look more formal, and you can also match it with other leather apparel.
You may opt for any of the styles above to accessorize your outfit.
Designs You Can Incorporate Into Your Trucker Hat
You can customize your trucker hat using the following:
- Distressed Woven Badge: The most common addition to trucker hats is the distressed woven badge, a stylish design with a casual, rugged look. The woven badge usually has an illustration or a logo stitched in the foam front part of the hat. You can choose from various designs to customize your hat according to your personality.
- Woven Label: For a more stylish touch, a woven label can be attached to the front part of the hat. The chosen design is woven into the label itself, then glued or stitched onto the front of the trucker hat. Most apparel companies usually have this design for their trucker hats, making the logo subtle yet bold.
- Screen-Printed Logo: For many companies that still use trucker hats for advertising their products, a screen-printed logo is a better option. It results in a smoother finish because the design is printed flat on the front foam panel of the trucker hat. This option is also ideal for more intricate designs. Furthermore, this printing technique permits mass production and costs less.
- 3D Embroidery: If you’re looking for a design that’s more straightforward yet makes a bold statement, you may opt for 3D embroidery. This type of embroidery, also called foam or puff embroidery, is another interesting way to customize your trucker hat. The usual designs include single letters or initials in bold font, stitched onto the front panel of the trucker hat, making it the focal point of the headwear.
With these options, personalizing your trucker hat is a cinch.
The trucker hat, which became popular among rural workers in the 1970s, is undoubtedly part of mainstream fashion today. There are many styles to choose from, including snapback, curved brim snapback, dad hat, and paparazzi hat. In addition, there are two-tone trucker hats and those with leather front panels.
If you want to customize your trucker hat, you can add woven badges, screen-printed logos, or 3D embroidered designs. You may pair it with any outfit that matches the casual look of the trucker hat. You can wear it front-facing or backward if you’re going for a more street-style look. Either way, trucker hats with always be the casual cap that will never go out of style and looks good on practically everyone.
Leave a Reply