The thickness of leather used is very close to boot leather at 2.0-2.2mm thick. It’s tough but supple enough to work well with the d-rings and tightens up nicely.
I am uncertain how much weight they could hold. I like mine too much to test them. You should not load them up with more than 25 pounds (if that) if you want them to last.
Saddleback Leather makes three lengths of the Utility Strap, all of which have different applications. All are one inch wide.
- Small – 10” – One D-ring (25.4 cm)
- Medium – 17” – Two D-rings (43.18 cm)
- Large – 24” – Two D-rings (60.96 cm)
function: 21 uses
(do you know more?)
- mug holder on another leather bag with D-rings
- trunk tie downs
- belt (attach multiple straps to fit your girth)
- notebook closure
- book wrap (my favorite)
- shoulder strap
- attachments to molle gear to attach gear to a tactical backpack or vest
- modified watch strap (it is easier to buy a nice chromexcel watch strap)
- camera strap (two mediums together)
- water bottle holder
- carry a chess board, drafting paper
- carry many grocery bags with one strap through the handles
- dog collar
- wrapping clothes in suitcase
- Hang “stuff” from your leather bag
- make a saddle for your dog to carry their its supplies (pets should earn their salt)
- gaiteresque (for keeping snow, bugs, etc from coming up your pants.)
- Wine bottle carrier on a bike (two medium straps)
- U shaped bike lock carrier.
- And last, and hopefully least, heaven forbid, a tourniquet
Best Leather conclusion
Get them only if you’re going to use them (obviously) and you value the quality leather. The straps are useful in certain situations. If you, for example, find yourself in perpetual need of a heavy duty tourniquet then these will certainly be worth buying.
However, there are many other strong nylon straps that will do everything the Utility Straps will do. It’s just that they are not leather. 🙂
more film reviews
[tubepress mode=”tag” tagValue=’how to use your saddleback leather straps’ resultsPerPage=”5″ tubepress orderBy=”relevance” tubepress resultCountCap=”10″]
Do you have any questions or anything else to add? Show your pictures of creative uses in the comments.
[phpzonsidebar keywords=”saddleback” num=”1″ country=”US” trackingid=”bestleather-20″ id=”2″]